Saturday, September 29, 2012

Everyday Yams


This recipe is so simple, I almost feel silly even calling it a recipe.  It is also so delicious that I'd feel silly not sharing either.  

Oven Temp: 375 F
Bake Time: 40minutes

Ingredients:
Yams
Coconut Oil, Melted
Cinnamon

Directions:

1. Lord, You nourish us with food and with blessing.  Bless my work and strengthen my family with this food and love. Amen
2. Preheat oven, Spray a square casserole dish lightly with non stick spray or oil it with some coconut oil. 
3. Wash and peel yams.
Wash
Peel


4. Slice
5. Line up in nice rows.


6. Drizzle with Coconut Oil (For an 8x8 dish, about 2Tbsp works well)
7. Dust with Cinnamon



8. Bake, uncovered, for about 40minutes or until the yams pierce easily with a fork.


Kitchen Tip:
Any time I need to "dust" with Cinnamon, Powdered Sugar, Cinnamon Sugar, etc. I use a Snap Mesh Loose Tea Ball.  This way, I am able reach it into the bag or jar or whatnot and scoop up what I need for dusting.  I usually give it on quick shake before I pull it out of the bag, just to make sure it isn't overloaded.  Trust me when I tell you this is a lot easier than trying to shake cinnamon or powdered sugar off of a teaspoon in any type of light or even manner...

Like This:

For more kitchen tips, head over to Tammy's Recipes. She hosts Kitchen Tips on Tuesdays!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I don't use loose tea so I don't have one of these, but now I want one for this purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe it took me so long to discover this trick. It is completely worth the couple bucks if you remember the next time you see one.

      However, if you don't have a Snap Mesh Loose Tea Ball, I have used (with a little bit less success) a Mesh Strainer by tapping it on the side with a spoon to dust. I like the tea ball better because you can lightly shake it and I feel a little more in control of the cinnamon or powdered sugar.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, me too. I think I had one sometime in the past but must have given it away after not using it. What a resourceful person you are; this is a wonderful idea! I'm always looking for ways to use things that are designed for one use only, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I already have far too many kitchen gadgets so anything I can use for more than one job is a winner in my book!

      Delete
  3. Ooh. I have four of these. Thanks! Always better to figure out (or find out) how I can use what I already have, rather than having to buy something new!

    ReplyDelete