Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kitchen Tip Tuesday (only on Thursday)

Kitchen Tip Tuesdays

I love Meatloaf.  What I don't love is how I always seem to somehow not plan enough time to bake it.  Or how sometimes when I plan it right, the "1 hour" the recipe suggests doesn't seem to be long enough and I end up adding way more time, and then end up with- once again- not enough time planned.

Have no fear. I have come to the rescue with THE ANSWER.

Take your favorite meat loaf recipe and...

Wait for it...


MAKE IT IN A MUFFIN PAN.
(Just be sure to cut your back time in half or down to about 30-35 mins)


I have done this several times now and it is amazing.
Why did it take me so long to figure this out?  I routinely make my bread recipes in a muffin pan.
Making your meatloaf in a muffin pan basically works the same way.  Same recipe, half the bake time.

This is especially great for freezer cooking.  Make your meatloaf but instead of cooking it, freeze the raw balls in your muffin pan (I have a silicone pan just for freezing stuff).  Then, once the balls are frozen, pop them out and throw them in a labeled 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag.  Now you are free to pull out a couple of balls (or 12) any night of the week when you don't have time for prep etc.

Now that you have this tip, go forth and eat meatloaf! (No matter how much prep time you have!)

Update: Tuesday Feb 5th
Tammy has a great kitchen tip this week about cloudy drinking glasses in the dishwasher where she hosts Kitchen Tip Tuesdays on her blog.  Check it out for more great tips!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great tip. I am going to make meatloaf for supper tomorrow night and now I have a quicker way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to help! I hope you and your family enjoy the meatloaf balls!

      Delete
  2. Awesome Idea, but when you say pull them from the freezer.. do you then cook from frozen or defrost before cooking? If cooking from frozen, what would be the correct amount of time and at what temp? Thanks :) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually pull them out last minute and therefore don't defrost them. :-)

      A lot of times, I will put them into the muffin pan and then throw the pan into the oven while it preheats. Then I don't change the cooking time or temp at all. As always, check them to make sure they are done because oven temps can vary!

      Delete